Hola Familia!!
Chile just keeps getting better!!! We had half a
P-Day this week so that we could go to the ward Independence day
celebration on Saturday and holy cow chileans know how to throw a party.
First off thanks to this awesome member we were able to wear these
amazing traditional dresses called huasos that they wear while they
dance the cueca on Independence day!! They're like the Chilean version
of a prom dress I'll send pics!! The party started at 12 for us because
we came early to help set up and then once everyone showed up this
couple that I absolutely love so much danced the cueca and a bunch of
other cool dances and they were so good! We all ate this huge meal with
this really yummy grilled meat (they grill a lot down here so whenever I
walk outside it smells like a campfire and I love it!) rice, potatoes,
salad and all this other yummy stuff and then had this traditional drink
called "mote con huesillo" which was kind of weird tasting but not bad.
Then we spent a couple hours playing all sorts of games outside and
everyone wanted to see how the Hermanas did at the games so we all got
to participate in jumprope, sack races, three-legged races, tug of war
once against hermanas and once against hermanos (we won both times much
to the dismay of the hermanos :P) and lemon eating contests, thats right
lemon eating contests which is ten times funnier than pie eating
contests. And we all did this in our big fancy dresses it was great.
Then much to surprise we had a second meal of chutipan and empanadas.
After that everyone danced the queca which is this adorable, awesome
dance that we wanted so badly to participate in but our Miss. Pres. said
we couldn't. Seven hours total start to finish and I think the ward has
adopted me as one of their own because even though I don't understand
everything it feels just like being in the ward at home because they all
tease and joke and love us a ton. It's kind of funny actually the ward
competes to be our favorite family by trying to serve us the best lunch
and stuff it's great. So some really cool things happened this week but
also some not cool things. We met a gringa down here and got to teach a
lesson completely in English which was funny because all of a sudden I
became the senior companion because my comp doesn't remember English.
Then earlier in the week we had a lunch with a member family, the
Cornejos, and then all of a sudden Hermano Cornejo pulls out this bottle
of beer and starts drinking it and offering it to us because it's
"without alcohol". They have this three year old boy who reminds me a
lot of Dawson but louder so I kept him occupied while my companion tried
to explain that beer is beer and someone asked our MP and he said it is
absolutely breaking the Word of Wisdom and so is coffee without
caffeine etc. You can't find a loop hole in a commandment and call it
obedience because it's not etc. I soon realized that this guy thought he
was absolutely right and he had brought out that beer just to prove to
us that he was right and he really wanted to have this debate with us
and win just to justify him drinking it etc. So the debater in me reared
it's head a little bit and all of a sudden my mouth was filled with the
spanish words necessary to tell him that no, I don't know all of the
reasons behind the commandments and neither did Joseph Smith when he
told the brethren to stop drinking and smoking and Heavenly Father
doesn't want me to know. He will not reveal everything unto me until
after a trial of my faith. I told Hno. Cornejo to exercise his faith and
to put his trust in an all knowing God and for the first time in this
exchange he was completely silent and for one terrifying moment I
thought that I had been to abrupt and he was offended or something and
then all of a sudden he stands up and he poured the beer down the drain.
I can't even explain the spirit and the celebration that followed!! I
remember earlier we had been about to leave before Hno. Cornejo got home
and his wife was practically begging us to stay until he got home
because he was bringing us empanadas to eat etc etc but now I can't help
but wonder if she knew he would do that and was praying for someone to
influence him and change his stubborn mind because after he threw away
all of his beer without alcohol and all of his coffee without caffeine
she was crying and hugging us so hard. Hno. Cornejo promised to live it
fully and then he's the one who rented the dresses for us! Afterwards my
comp told me that he had done that so many times before but the
missionaries had never been able to convince him that he wasn't follwing
the WoW and this is the first time anyone beat him!! I love being a
missionary. It's really hard sometimes when you know someone knows
everything is true and believes everything but wont stinking do anything
about it but I have hope that maybe I'm planting a seed that will bloom
later when something else happens. I love serving and I almost feel bad
because I am having so much fun!! It doesn't feel like work when you
can't wait to get out there and find people and you dread any thing that
takes you away from that!! Most importantly the gospel is true, please
read and pray always because as missionaries it is so depressing to ask
people if their doing those things and have them say no. Especially when
you know that that is how you obtain and strengthen a testimony. I love
you all!!
Hermana (Mandy) Boully
Sister N
Hola!!
There are weeks that go so fast and
others that go so slow it was one of the slow weeks this week. Its
probably becuase we didnt have a whole pday last week becuase Hna Diaz
my mom my trainer went to another area so we went around saying good bye
to everyone monday before she left. Its been a little different
ajusting to just being me and Hna Laufau and also since Im done with my
training Im taking more and more responsiablitys. The first couple of
days we kept looking for someone else when we where walking or in the
house it was like wait someone is missing! But its been good Hna Laufau
is amazing and she is a great teacher Im learning alot from her. Also we
are working on my spanish cuz Im talking more and so I got get better
so people understand me!
Its been a good week we have been
working alot with the new investigators we found last week and alot look
promising we have a couple of casi fechas that they are almost there!
Last
week when we where on divisions me and a member contacted this girl and
we got to teach her she was really respective to us she agreed to go to
church and to the mutual activity. This last week we visited her again
and she had read the whole panphlet we left for her she had lots of
questions and she had already prayed to know if the church was true it
was really cool! Speically because I found her:) We have a date for her
to get baptised but we still need to work with her because she wasnt
able to come to church this last sunday but i still have hope and faith
in her!
Sometimes its hard when I feel like I should know
more I should be a better teacher and know more spanish but then I have
the good times little moments like hey they actually understood what i
said yay!!! Its about doing your best and leaving the rest to the lord!
Every day a little better Im so grateful for companions with patients!!
I love you all hope you have a good week!
Hna Nicia Boully!




No comments:
Post a Comment